Opening a Case

​Child support cases are opened three ways:

  • Either parent or a legal guardian may ask the child support agency to open a case, as long as they are not receiving CalWORKs benefits for the child(ren). Please refer to the “How to Open a Case" section below for additional information.
  • If there is a family in another state or country that is seeking support from a parent residing in Sacramento County, the other state or country will request our office to open a case.
  • If the family is receiving CalWORKs, and a parent is absent from the home or the establishment of legal parentage is necessary, the Department of Human Assistance will automatically refer the case to the local child support agency for opening.

How to Open a Case

   1. Online

You may submit your request to open a case online using one of the applications below:

You will be asked to provide information about yourself, your child(ren), and the person you wish to open this child support case with.

Unsure of which program is best suited for your situation? Please click on the link below for more information about the Simplified Enrollment Process (SEP) and TurboCourt.

SEP vs TurboCourt – which one is best for me?

   ​2. ​Call or In Person

You may request a hardcopy enrollment package by telephone by contacting our Customer Service Center at (866) 901-3212 or by visiting our office. We are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.​

Once you have completed your forms, please mail them back to our office or meet with a caseworker to review the completed documents and open your case. Don't have the ​time to meet with a caseworker? Place your completed forms in the designated document drop box in our lobby.​

Physical Address:
3701 Power Inn Road
Sacramento, CA 95826

Mailing Address:
Sacramento County DCSS
P.O. Box 269112
Sacramento, CA 95826